Sunday, July 17, 2016

The great escape of Sir Finnegan!

Wednesday was a rough day in the Lasley household. My grandparents have been helping keep an eye on Finn while I've been at work. During the noon hour I come home and feed Finn his medicine and play with him a bit before I go back to work. This Wednesday my grandparents were heading for a talk and so we had decided to put Finn out in the yard for the hour or so that he would be alone before I got back at noon. I had borrowed some puppy playpens from a coworker and I was planning on leaving him in that. What I didn't account for was the strong wind that accompanied the store as it rolled in. The storm was strong enough that it blew the playpen enough that Finn was able to climb out of it!

Fixed fence (it's got a new wire on both sides)
The fence at the Taylor's isn't secure and I knew Finn would be able to escape if he was left out ( I saw him escape as I was unloading the car). Sure enough the rain came and the storm was nasty and when I got back to check on Finn he was gone! No where to be found, gone! As traumatizing as I'm sure it was or him, I was a nervous wreck! I cried a lot, called Guy. I hyperventilated a little ( ok...a lot) and generally freaked out. Finn isn't microchipped yet (the vet wanted to wait until we cleared his health issues) and I haven't put a name tag on his collar yet. After my freak out, I prayed that we would be able to find Finn. Guy was in a better place than I was and he was prompted to have me go talk to the neighbors. I immediately put on my rain coat and started walking up and down the street calling his name. Two doors down the neighbor's daughter came out and asked if I was looking for a dog! I exclaimed yes and inquired if they had seen one. She had, and they had him! I was so grateful!! More tears of gratitude as I explained that we had only had him a few days and he wasn't chipped or ready yet for a collar with tags on it.

Asleep in the kennel
Many prayers were said in thanking Heavenly Father for keeping him safe and that we were able to find him. This experience helped cement in my mind that: a) Heavenly Father answers prayers and b) Finn is suppose to be with us. There's no doubt. The odds of us being able to find him and get him back were pretty slim. Guy and I both had it confirmed to us that we were suppose to get him, and this experience helped cement that fact.

Wednesday afternoon I put Finn in his kennel when I went back to work. After work I fixed the fence and secured it. Starting this week my grandparents won't be around to help watch Finn so I needed to get the fence ready. It'll be a little rough with me working full time and having him home alone. I'm hoping once we survive the next few weeks it'll be easer and Guy and I will have more time and fun training him.


1 comment: